Slap on the sunblock and grab a lifejacket because taking to the high seas – or lake, canal, river or broad – on a narrowboat holiday provides an exciting way to view our amazing coastline and explore our peerless countryside. Most of our major towns and cities were built on rivers as trading ports and their history comes to life before our eyes from a watery vantage point on a boating holiday. Row along the River Thames, take a canal boat through The Fens, kayak through white-water rapids in the Lake District and sail the Solent amidst the gentle waves of a perfect summer’s day.
- Central England (8) Apply Central England filter
- Northamptonshire (1) Apply Northamptonshire filter
- Peak District (1) Apply Peak District filter
- Rutland (1) Apply Rutland filter
- Shropshire (1) Apply Shropshire filter
- Staffordshire (2) Apply Staffordshire filter
- Warwickshire (2) Apply Warwickshire filter
- West Midlands (1) Apply West Midlands filter
- East of England (6) Apply East of England filter
- North East England (5) Apply North East England filter
- North West England (12) Apply North West England filter
- South East England (13) Apply South East England filter
- South West England (7) Apply South West England filter
- Central England (8) Apply Central England filter
- (-) Remove Activities filter Activities
- Architectural wonders (1) Apply Architectural wonders filter
- City (15) Apply City filter
- Coast (11) Apply Coast filter
- Countryside (17) Apply Countryside filter
- Areas of outstanding natural beauty (1) Apply Areas of outstanding natural beauty filter
- Forests and woodlands (1) Apply Forests and woodlands filter
- Lakes and waterways (19) Apply Lakes and waterways filter
- National Parks (3) Apply National Parks filter
- Wildlife and Nature Reserves (6) Apply Wildlife and Nature Reserves filter
- Days Out in England (1) Apply Days Out in England filter
- Family (6) Apply Family filter
- Food and Drink (1) Apply Food and Drink filter
- Heritage (4) Apply Heritage filter
- Castles and Historic Properties (1) Apply Castles and Historic Properties filter
- Historic sites and icons (1) Apply Historic sites and icons filter
- Industrial Maritime And Transport (1) Apply Industrial Maritime And Transport filter
- Military history (1) Apply Military history filter
- World heritage sites (2) Apply World heritage sites filter
- Hidden gems (1) Apply Hidden gems filter
- Lifestyle (1) Apply Lifestyle filter
- Literature, film and TV (1) Apply Literature, film and TV filter
- Museums galleries and libraries (1) Apply Museums galleries and libraries filter
- Romance (5) Apply Romance filter
Float along London's Regent's Canal
Take a boat from Little Venice to Camden Town along the Regent's Canal
Location: London, Greater London
Go punting on the River Cam
Find your inner rhythm in Cambridge as you mess about on the River Cam.
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgshire
Enjoy a boat trip on Canal River Trust's Waterways
Spend your weekend exploring Cheshire’s incredible waterways, at Anderton Boat Lift and the National Waterways Museum.
Location: Anderton, Cheshire
Glide through the waterways of unspoilt Cheshire
Take in quaint villages, welcoming country pubs, majestic industrial heritage sites and even castles on a boat trip through the county’s canals.
Location: Audlem, Cheshire
Take a cruise on the Grand Union Canal
Get on-board for a leisurely cruise into the heart of the Chiltern Hills, enjoying impressive views of the Buckinghamshire countryside.
Location: Pitstone, Buckinghamshire
See the light at the end of the tunnel
Standedge Tunnel, in the heart of the Pennine countryside, is the longest canal tunnel in Britain.
Location: Marsden, Yorkshire
Take a trip on one of England’s last horse-drawn barges
Explore the Grand Western Canal on one of England’s last horse drawn barges, and enjoy spectacular views of the surrounding Devon countryside.
Location: Tiverton, Devon
Take a cruise along the River Ouse
The city of York owes its existence to the rivers. Escape the city rush and admire the scenery from the comfort of a Yorkboat.
Location: York, North Yorkshire
Adventure boat trips to Beachy Head
Jump aboard an adrenaline filled boat trip for a close up view of the stunning South Downs National Park coastline and Beachy Head lighthouse.
Location: Eastbourne, East Sussex
Take a boat trip in Little Venice
Cruise along the canal connecting London's picturesque Little Venice to the colourful hub of Camden Lock.
Location: Warwick Avenue, Greater London
Kayak around The Needles rocks and lighthouse
How would you like to get up close and personal with one of the Isle of Wight’s most iconic landmarks?
Location: Freshwater, Isle of Wight
Take a boat trip for the best view of the Jurassic Coast
Step aboard the Stuart Line Cruise, and see the stunning 250 million year old Jurassic Coast cliffs up close from the sea.
Location: Exmouth, Devon
Sailing and watersports at Gosport
Discover an adventure playground on water at Gosport.
Location: Gosport, Hampshire
Frolic in Rutland Water's magical outdoor playground
Rutland Water, one of Europe’s largest man-made lakes, is set in over 4,200 acres of stunning countryside, offering you a great getaway experience.
Location: Rutland Water, Rutland
Canal cruise through Staffordshire’s Peak District
Escape the hustle and bustle of city life by hiring a canal boat and leisurely cruising through picturesque scenery.
Location: Peak District, Staffordshire
Romantic punting on the River Cherwell
Ever watched people punting and felt you’d like to have a go? Pick up a few tips at Cherwell Boathouse, grab the pole and off you go.
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire
Take a wind-whipped voyage of discovery with RIB Request
Sit back and feel the wind fly through your hair as you speed out to sea on a RIB Request boat trip.
Location: Ramsgate, Kent
Take a relaxing boat ride along the River Avon
Enjoy the tranquil waters of the River Avon by boat, as many have been doing for over 100 years.
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire
Join the A-List on a narrow boat holiday
You just can’t beat messing about in boats and travelling at just 4 miles an hour you are sure to unwind.
Location: Chirk, Shropshire
Explore a living canal village
The Grand Union Canal at Stoke Bruerne is like an outdoor museum with historic canal features to explore.
Location: Stoke Bruerne, Northamptonshire