Rural escapes in autumn
Feel the leaves crunch beneath your feet as you enjoy crisp autumn afternoon walks in England’s picturesque woodlands and parks, whilst admiring their stunning displays of colour. Enjoy wildlife spotting and star gazing under the autumn skies at the Northumberland International Dark Sky Park; uncover local folk laws and spooky tales of the Lancashire Witches as you explore Pendle Hill and the Ribble Valley, and take afternoon tea after a magical woodland walk at Falling Foss in North Yorkshire.
- Central England (6) Apply Central England filter
- East of England (1) Apply East of England filter
- North East England (6) Apply North East England filter
- North West England (9) Apply North West England filter
- South East England (5) Apply South East England filter
- South West England (13) Apply South West England filter
- Accessible breaks and places to stay (1) Apply Accessible breaks and places to stay filter
- Activities (12) Apply Activities filter
- Autumn Break Ideas (1) Apply Autumn Break Ideas filter
- Budget (5) Apply Budget filter
- Coast (1) Apply Coast filter
- Countryside (38) Apply Countryside filter
- Areas of outstanding natural beauty (4) Apply Areas of outstanding natural beauty filter
- Forests and woodlands (4) Apply Forests and woodlands filter
- Gardens and Parks (7) Apply Gardens and Parks filter
- Lakes and waterways (2) Apply Lakes and waterways filter
- National Parks (5) Apply National Parks filter
- Wildlife and Nature Reserves (5) Apply Wildlife and Nature Reserves filter
- Culture (8) Apply Culture filter
- Days Out in England (2) Apply Days Out in England filter
- Events (2) Apply Events filter
- Family (4) Apply Family filter
- Food and Drink (8) Apply Food and Drink filter
- Heritage (3) Apply Heritage filter
- Lifestyle (4) Apply Lifestyle filter
- Romance (2) Apply Romance filter
Discover Cornwall's Eden Project
Five biomes nestled under five giant bubbles in the hills of Cornwall make for one of Britain's most impressive indoor eco-attractions.
Location: St Austell, Cornwall
Take a tour of England's wine country
Sample some of the best wine, cider and juices in the country in Kent.
Location: Tenterden, Kent
Stay in a cottage built by an amazing Victorian inventor
Experience Cragside in Northumberland as many have never seen it before – by staying in the spectacular and dramatic grounds of the Cragside Estate.
Location: Rothbury, Northumberland
Visit the home of the Dymock Poets in the Forest of Dean
In the quiet village of Dymock, literacy history was being made by six of the finest poets of the early 20th century.
Location: Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Be inspired by the grand Malvern Hills
Enjoy great views on top of the Worcestershire Beacon and follow in the footsteps of writers and composers including Sir Edward Elgar and C.S Lewis.
Location: Malvern, Worcestershire
Get close to the deer at the Red Deer rut
The majestic red deer is our largest land mammal: a beautiful creature, from hoof to antler, whose iconic silhouette has captivated us for centuries.
Location: Minsmere, Suffolk
Walk with Offa in the Shropshire Hills
Follow in King Offa’s footsteps with 18 way-marked pub walks taking you through border country between England & Wales and along Offa’s Dyke.
Location: Clun, Shropshire
Stay at All Stretton Bunkhouse in the Shropshire Hills
Experience the great outdoors with a stay at All Stretton Bunkhouse, nestled deep in the Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
Location: Church Stretton, Shropshire
See unusual sculptures in Grizedale Forest
Discover the unexpected, the quirky, the confounding and the confusing in Grizedale Forest with a whole host of art inspired by the landscape.
Location: Windermere, Cumbria
Discover Lowther Castle & Gardens
Of the many treasures waiting to be discovered in the Lake District, Lowther Castle is a particular gem.
Location: Penrith, Cumbria
Banish the autumn blues in a 13th century retreat fit for a queen
As the nights draw in, make yourself at home in a 13th century royal retreat that is anything but old and stuffy.
Location: Penrith, Cumbria
Wig wam your way to Clumber Park
Camping in tents is so last year – why not try sleeping in a yurt or wigwam in the beautiful surrounds of Clumber Park?
Location: Worksop, Nottinghamshire
Explore the Regency spa town of Cheltenham
This pretty spa town in Gloucestershire is the perfect place to explore and base yourself for a Cotswold sojourn.
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
See art on the Wolds Way
The WANDER art trail is the first of its kind in the country encompassing a series of public art installations on the 79 mile national walking trail.
Location: Malton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Experience David Hockney’s inspiring landscapes
Widely considered Britain’s most important living artist, David Hockney has long been fascinated by the nature and landscapes of the Yorkshire Wolds.
Location: East Yorkshire
September events: Enjoy Nordic walking at the Walking and Outdoors Festival
The annual Yorkshire Wolds Walking and Outdoors Festival offers a host of exciting outdoor pursuits and taster sessions.
Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire
Discover Laurie Lee Country
Take inspiration from the BBC adaptation of the classic novel ‘Cider with Rosie’ and follow in the footsteps of author Laurie Lee through the Slad Valley.
Location: Slad village near Stroud, Gloucestershire
Take a walk with the wildlife in the Lake District
Keep your eyes peeled and cameras at the ready for some serious Cumbrian wildlife spotting.
Location: Lake District, Cumbria
Forage tasty mushrooms for your dinner at Fungi Foray
Get an insight into the wonderful world of mushrooms, and find out what you can pick, and what you should avoid.
Location: New Forest, Hampshire
Get an authentic taste of Cotswolds farm life
Ever fancied trying your hand at making your own sausages? Be part of a traditional farming experience at Old Farm, near Moreton in Marsh.
Location: Moreton In Marsh, Gloucestershire
Explore Devon’s countryside on a mushroom foray
Join Riverside Cottage mushroom expert John Wright as you forage in Devon’s woodland fields to identify, gather responsibly and cook some wild fungi.
Location: Axminster, Devon