Days out and trips in England
Find the best days out near you and plan your next day trip with our handy guide. Whether you're planning a family day out or a day trip in your local area, you'll find a range of zoos, theme parks, outdoor activities and much more to help shape your big day out in England.
- Central England (5) Apply Central England filter
- East of England (13) Apply East of England filter
- North East England (7) Apply North East England filter
- North West England (14) Apply North West England filter
- South East England (13) Apply South East England filter
- Bedfordshire (1) Apply Bedfordshire filter
- Berkshire (1) Apply Berkshire filter
- East Sussex (2) Apply East Sussex filter
- Hampshire (2) Apply Hampshire filter
- Hertfordshire (2) Apply Hertfordshire filter
- Isle of Wight (1) Apply Isle of Wight filter
- London (3) Apply London filter
- Oxfordshire (1) Apply Oxfordshire filter
- Surrey (2) Apply Surrey filter
- South West England (6) Apply South West England filter
- Activities (11) Apply Activities filter
- Autumn Break Ideas (18) Apply Autumn Break Ideas filter
- Budget (11) Apply Budget filter
- City (10) Apply City filter
- Coast (16) Apply Coast filter
- Countryside (26) Apply Countryside filter
- Areas of outstanding natural beauty (2) Apply Areas of outstanding natural beauty filter
- Forests and woodlands (3) Apply Forests and woodlands filter
- Gardens and Parks (13) Apply Gardens and Parks filter
- Lakes and waterways (1) Apply Lakes and waterways filter
- National Parks (1) Apply National Parks filter
- Wildlife and Nature Reserves (4) Apply Wildlife and Nature Reserves filter
- Culture (4) Apply Culture filter
- (-) Remove Days Out in England filter Days Out in England
- Events (2) Apply Events filter
- Family (39) Apply Family filter
- Attractions (16) Apply Attractions filter
- Indoor Activities (1) Apply Indoor Activities filter
- Outdoor Activities (23) Apply Outdoor Activities filter
- Playtime (12) Apply Playtime filter
- Theme Parks (10) Apply Theme Parks filter
- Toddler Friendly Holidays (26) Apply Toddler Friendly Holidays filter
- Zoos wildlife and safari parks (7) Apply Zoos wildlife and safari parks filter
- Food and Drink (1) Apply Food and Drink filter
- Heritage (10) Apply Heritage filter
- Romance (3) Apply Romance filter
16 of the best days out
Discover fun days out that are all an hour or less away from a major city.
Test your limits and climb The Cloud
Push yourself to the limit hiking the Gritstone Trail. With outstanding countryside and amazing views, the 35-mile trail is a challenge and a pleasure.
Location: Lyme Park, Cheshire
Walk Cheshire’s beautiful Sandstone Trail
Take a walk on the wild side discovering the ancient market town of Frodsham, Georgian Whitchurch and everything in between.
Location: Frodsham, Cheshire
Savour your scoops at The Ice Cream Farm
Keep the kids happy with more than 40 delicious flavours of ice cream, an outdoor play area, farm, quad bikes, mini golf and more...
Location: Tattenhall, Cheshire
Explore the tranquil gardens at Tatton Park
Spread across the grounds of a historic estate in Cheshire, Tatton Park have been carefully expanded and cultivated since Edwardian times.
Location: Knutsford, Cheshire
Bronze Age living at Flag Fen Archaeology Park
Travel back 3,500 years to discover a prehistoric causeway at one of the finest Bronze Age archaeological site in Northern Europe, discovered 1982.
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Explore Nene Park in the River Nene Valley
Imagine somewhere beautiful, safe and unspoilt where you can explore endless meadows, lakes and woodland, and the River Nene.
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Go punting on the River Cam
Find your inner rhythm in Cambridge as you mess about on the River Cam.
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgshire
Take the whole family to Chester Zoo
Venture to tantalising tropical islands in the heart of Cheshire with innovative exhibits at the UK’s most popular zoo.
Location: Upton near Chester, Cheshire
Get your thrills and spills at Gulliver’s World
With more than 50 rides and attractions suitable for the whole family, a short break to Gulliver's World is sure to leave you giddy with glee.
Location: Warrington, Cheshire
See London in miniature at the LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort
See the London Eye, Big Ben and Tower Bridge made entirely of LEGO in the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort's Miniland attraction.
Location: Windsor, Berkshire
Discover dinosaur footprints on the beach
Everyone who has been to the beach has seen footprints left in the sand, but have you ever seen ones that have been left by a dinosaur?
Location: Brook, Isle of Wight
A grand day out in Dalby, Yorkshire’s greatest forest
The soft green light and dappled shadows of Dalby Forest hide a secret world of offbeat experiences and artisan adventures.
Location: Dalby Forest, North Yorkshire
Build sandcastles at Bamburgh Beach
Do you know your cockles from your winkles? St. Aidan and Grace Darling certainly did. And what better place to learn than on Bamburgh Beach.
Location: Bamburgh, Northumberland
Go on an exotic adventure at Woburn Safari Park
Explore the habitats of lions, zebras, giraffes and much more at this family-friendly, conservation-focused safari park.
Location: Woburn, Bedfordshire
Step into the cockpit of Blackpool’s Red Arrow Skyforce ride
Blackpool Pleasure Beach has joined forces with the world famous Red Arrows for a new 72ft-high white knuckle ride that’s great for family holidays.
Location: Blackpool, Lancashire
Discover summer romance in a secret city garden
Plantation Garden is a tranquil three acre lush heritage green space in the centre of Norwich, but the challenge is to find it!
Location: Norwich, Norfolk
Step into Peppa Pig World at Paultons Park
Meet their favourite characters and enjoy a variety of toddler-friendly rides at the first official Peppa Pig theme park in the world.
Location: New Forest, Hampshire
Spy on endangered wildfowl at Rutland Water Nature Reserve
Visit Rutland Water's famous wildfowl sanctuary, covering a 1,000 acres of bird hides, mucky nature trails and interactive visitor centres.
Location: Rutland Water, Rutland
Take the kids to Fantasy Island
Round up your little devils and set off to Fantasy Land - a fun-packed amusement park, in the seaside resort of Skegness, with attractions for all the family, even the smallest members!
Location: Skegness, Lincolnshire
Go bananas for Trentham Monkey Forest
Pay a visit to the only place in Britain where you can walk among 140 Barbary macaques roaming free in 60 acres of forest.
Location: Trentham , Staffordshire
Family fun at Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens
The appeal of Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens goes way beyond its remarkable wildlife collection to breeding programmes and exuberant gardens.
Location: Burford, Oxfordshire