The words ‘I’m bored’ aren’t welcome here. Especially when we have heaps of holiday ideas and things to do in England for you discover based on your interests. We’ve got fun-fuelled breaks for families, holidays for flocks of friends, romantic getaways for love birds, city breaks for culture vultures and rural escapes for tree huggers - think of us as your England travel guide. Get filtering to find your perfect holiday in England.
Things to do
- Central England (1) Apply Central England filter
- East of England (5) Apply East of England filter
- North East England (10) Apply North East England filter
- North West England (4) Apply North West England filter
- South East England (10) Apply South East England filter
- South West England (9) Apply South West England filter
- Activities (7) Apply Activities filter
- Autumn Break Ideas (1) Apply Autumn Break Ideas filter
- Budget (10) Apply Budget filter
- City (12) Apply City filter
- Coast (13) Apply Coast filter
- Countryside (12) Apply Countryside filter
- Culture (3) Apply Culture filter
- Days Out in England (4) Apply Days Out in England filter
- Events (1) Apply Events filter
- Family (11) Apply Family filter
- Food and Drink (3) Apply Food and Drink filter
- Heritage (6) Apply Heritage filter
- Abbeys cathedrals and sacred places (1) Apply Abbeys cathedrals and sacred places filter
- Castles and Historic Properties (3) Apply Castles and Historic Properties filter
- Historic sites and icons (1) Apply Historic sites and icons filter
- Industrial Maritime And Transport (1) Apply Industrial Maritime And Transport filter
- Royal (1) Apply Royal filter
- World heritage sites (1) Apply World heritage sites filter
- Lifestyle (3) Apply Lifestyle filter
- Romance (6) Apply Romance filter
Indulge in a romantic city break in Manchester
Your romantic getaway is just round the corner; visit some of the city’s most sumptuous hot spots for great cuisine and spectacular skyline views.
Location: Manchester, Greater Manchester
Rainy Day Activities: Get interactive on a family trip to Eureka!
Eureka! in Halifax is an indoor attraction that inspires children to learn all about the world around them by playing, imagining, experimenting and having fun.
Location: Halifax, West Yorkshire
Trot over to meet Redwings Horse Sanctuary's rescued residents
Come nose to nose with some of Redwings Horse Sanctuary's most delightful residents at Redwings Ada Cole Rescue Centre in Essex.
Location: Nazeing, Essex
Be beside the seaside in Gorleston-on-Sea
Take the buckets and spades gorgeous Gorleston Beach before exploring the ancient Roman ruins and the Angles Way.
Location: Gorleston-on-Sea, Norfolk
Escape to a romantic rural retreat at Champneys spa
Enjoy some time out for just the two of you with a sumptuous pampering and walking break in the heart of Hampshire’s countryside.
Location: Liphook, Hampshire
Escape to the Lancashire countryside on a romantic spa trip
Indulge yourself at Woodland Spa in Lancashire and take your pick from a wealth of relaxing treatments – from facials and manicures to holistic treatments.
Location: Burnley, Lancashire
Let Plymouth bring out your adventurous streak
Plymouth provides the perfect place for adventurers, with water sports, scuba diving, climbing walls, cycle paths, walks and boat trips.
Location: Plymouth, Devon
Enjoy being pampered in your own moorland lodge retreat
Indulge in a full range of spa treatments in the comfort of your own luxury Scandinavian lodge before setting off to explore the English countryside.
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
Relax and reconnect on a romantic Cornish coastal break
It’s all about you and your time together at Headland Hotel and Spa, where you can connect with each other, the ocean and the wild Cornish coastline.
Location: Newquay, Cornwall
Cookery and butchery courses at Coddy's Farm
Boost your culinary skills with seasonal cookery and butchery courses at Coddy's Farm, in Holmfirth. Great accommodation, great views, great food.
Location: Holmfirth, Yorkshire
Stay and play on Adam Henson’s Cotswold Farm Park
Make the most of family fun time camping at Cotswold Farm Park, and visit nearby Bourton-on-the-Water to explore attractions & picnic by the river.
Location: Near Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire
Beach huts, breweries and barmy arcade games
Take in Southwold’s iconic sights on a coastal stroll along Suffolk’s Heritage Coastline, from brightly coloured beach huts to homemade arcade games.
Location: Southwold, Suffolk
Go glamping in a gypsy cabin this summer
Experience a summer holiday with a difference this year by staying in a quirky Gypsy Cabin style pod just 15 minutes away from Whitby.
Location: Robin Hood's Bay, North Yorkshire
Fun and free on Kent’s coastline
Who says you need to break the bank to have a great day out with so much available for free on the coast of Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate?
Location: Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate, Kent
Sample local craft beers brewed in Henry VIII's Southsea Castle
Discover the taste of Southsea Brewing Co., brewed in Southsea Castle's micro-brewery.
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire
Cycle from Snape to Orford through scenic Suffolk
This delightful cycle route from Snape to Orford meanders through the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Location: Snape and Orford, Suffolk
Join the Clouds with Bristol Hot Air Ballooning
Take to the skies in a hot air balloon across the West Country, giving you amazing views and an unforgettable experience.
August Events: Take in the big screen at Hertford Castle Open Air Cinema
Grab your popcorn and enjoy a weekend of open air cinema under the stars with the beautiful Hertford Castle providing a suitably dramatic backdrop.
Location: Hertford, Hertfordhsire
14 ways to holiday like a queen this Jubilee bank holiday
From rides on vintage trains to overnight stays in a castle, get the royal treatment with our round-up of England’s most regal experiences.
11 unmissable August bank holiday 2023 events
Look ahead to the August bank holiday with our round-up of end-of-summer events and festivals.