Throughout the year, national parks, stately homes and museums and galleries host a wealth of activities for all the family to enjoy that each cost less than £10 to attend. They range from classical concerts in spectacular grounds, to arts and crafts workshops and meet-the-wildlife days where children can get close to different animals. Listen to a choral concert by a professional choir for the price of a small donation to the cathedral by sitting in on their rehearsal time. An annual membership to an organisation such as English Heritage will provide you with a year’s entrance to more than 400 historic sites.
- Central England (9) Apply Central England filter
- Derbyshire (2) Apply Derbyshire filter
- Lincolnshire (2) Apply Lincolnshire filter
- Nottinghamshire (1) Apply Nottinghamshire filter
- Peak District (1) Apply Peak District filter
- Staffordshire (1) Apply Staffordshire filter
- Warwickshire (1) Apply Warwickshire filter
- Worcestershire (2) Apply Worcestershire filter
- East of England (4) Apply East of England filter
- North East England (7) Apply North East England filter
- North West England (3) Apply North West England filter
- South East England (13) Apply South East England filter
- Bedfordshire (1) Apply Bedfordshire filter
- Buckinghamshire (1) Apply Buckinghamshire filter
- East Sussex (1) Apply East Sussex filter
- Isle of Wight (3) Apply Isle of Wight filter
- Kent (1) Apply Kent filter
- London (4) Apply London filter
- Oxfordshire (3) Apply Oxfordshire filter
- West Sussex (1) Apply West Sussex filter
- South West England (15) Apply South West England filter
- Central England (9) Apply Central England filter
- Activities (13) Apply Activities filter
- Autumn Break Ideas (1) Apply Autumn Break Ideas filter
- (-) Remove Budget filter Budget
- City (19) Apply City filter
- Coast (12) Apply Coast filter
- Countryside (22) Apply Countryside filter
- Areas of outstanding natural beauty (2) Apply Areas of outstanding natural beauty filter
- Forests and woodlands (2) Apply Forests and woodlands filter
- Gardens and Parks (4) Apply Gardens and Parks filter
- Lakes and waterways (1) Apply Lakes and waterways filter
- National Parks (2) Apply National Parks filter
- Wildlife and Nature Reserves (2) Apply Wildlife and Nature Reserves filter
- Culture (10) Apply Culture filter
- Days Out in England (2) Apply Days Out in England filter
- Family (16) Apply Family filter
- Attractions (4) Apply Attractions filter
- Dog friendly (1) Apply Dog friendly filter
- Indoor Activities (2) Apply Indoor Activities filter
- Outdoor Activities (2) Apply Outdoor Activities filter
- Toddler Friendly Holidays (2) Apply Toddler Friendly Holidays filter
- Zoos wildlife and safari parks (1) Apply Zoos wildlife and safari parks filter
- Food and Drink (4) Apply Food and Drink filter
- Heritage (24) Apply Heritage filter
- Abbeys cathedrals and sacred places (3) Apply Abbeys cathedrals and sacred places filter
- Archaeological sites (2) Apply Archaeological sites filter
- Castles and Historic Properties (6) Apply Castles and Historic Properties filter
- Historic sites and icons (4) Apply Historic sites and icons filter
- Industrial Maritime And Transport (3) Apply Industrial Maritime And Transport filter
- Military history (1) Apply Military history filter
- World heritage sites (4) Apply World heritage sites filter
- Romance (2) Apply Romance filter
- Shopping and fashion (1) Apply Shopping and fashion filter
See The National Forest in bloom at Yoxall Lodge
Too many hours indoors during winter’s gloomy days and you’re looking to break out into spring’s fresh air and lengthening daylight hours.
Location: Yoxall, Staffordshire
Visit the Diamond Isle
Enjoy a 10 min trip on the Needles Park Chairlift and go dinosaur hunting.
Location: Isle of Wight
Discover UNESCO World Heritage site at Masson Mills
Experience what life was like to work in an 18th-century mill at this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Location: Matlock Bath, Derbyshire
Walking in the Cotswolds
Join a walking route from Bourton-on-the-Water to the Slaughters.
Dungeness attracts both visionary artists and nature lovers.
Location: Dungeness, Kent
See the oldest independent brewery in Buckinghamshire
The emphasis at Chiltern Brewery has always been to produce natural, wholesome beers using the best, class A malt and hops sourced in England.
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Explore the city of York by bike
York is voted as one of the most bike-friendly cities in England with a wide range of cycle routes through the city and beyond.
Location: York, North Yorkshire
See a play under the stars
Experience theatre performed in the open air, amid the beautiful, green surroundings of Regent's Park.
Location: Regent's Park, Greater London
Take a bargain break with all the trimmings at Totland
On the west coast of the Isle of Wight, YHA Totland has the beach, heaps of countryside walks and great local attractions on its doorstep.
Location: Totland, Isle of Wight
Bask in the traditional charm of Shanklin Seafront
Shanklin Seafront is one of the Isle of Wight's most popular seaside resorts, with loads to keep the kids quiet and plenty of places for adults to take it easy.
Location: Shanklin, Isle of Wight
Walk and picnic amongst the prehistoric landscape at Avebury
Step into the largest stone circle in the world, standing for over 4500 years, and the site of a host of archaeological excavations.
Location: Marlborough, Wiltshire
Fall in love with Exeter Cathedral
Be awed by Exeter Cathedral; a gothic masterpiece and one of the South West's most iconic landmarks, even better when viewed from above.
Location: Exeter, Devon
Picnic in Bath's most elevated park
Enjoy stunning views of the World Heritage City of Bath from the steep hill-top setting of Alexandra Park.
Location: Bath, Somerset
Enjoy a classic holiday by the seaside
When the sun shines there is only one place to be – beside the sea.
Location: Brighton & Hove, East Sussex
Enjoy a camping weekend at the National Water Sports Centre
Take advantage of a budget break in Nottingham with a camping weekend at the National Water Sports centre, just 10 minutes from the heart of the city.
Location: Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Journey back to the 1920s at Coleton Fishacre
A 1920s Art Deco house and garden in the beautiful Devon countryside.
Location: Kingswear, Devon
Alice in Wonderland at Antony House
Just over the Tamar, Antony House was the location for the hit 'Alice in Wonderland' 2010. Here you can explore its formal gardens, sculptures and the National Collection of Daylilies.
Location: Torpoint, Cornwall
Uncover London’s industrial heritage at The Brunel Museum
Discover how the world's first underwater tunnel was built on a visit to the Brunel Museum.
Location: London, Greater London
Saxon Heritage at Sutton Hoo
See one of the greatest archaeological discoveries of all time at Sutton Hoo.
Location: Woodbridge, Suffolk
Camp next to Hadrian's Wall
This isn't just any wall, this is an impressive piece of roman architecture.
Location: Melkridge, Cumbria
Barnard Castle in the Durham Dales
A walking architectural history lesson.
Location: Barnard Castle, Durham Dales