Newcastle and Gateshead – the twin cities of the North East – are linked by a series of iconic bridges crossing the Tyne. The rejuvenated quayside is home to famous cultural hubs including music arenas and art galleries in addition to its seven iconic bridges. Cheer on the beloved Newcastle United with the Toon Army and explore Georgian streets on a shopping trip in Grainger Town followed by even more shopping at independent stores in High Bridge and the famous Metro Centre. Wrap up your break with a drink or two in trendy Ouseburn, or a visit to one of many world-class museums and attractions in the city centre.
Places to visit in Newcastle
- (-) Remove Cumbria filter Cumbria
- (-) Remove North East England filter North East England
- Northumberland (1) Apply Northumberland filter
- (-) Remove Tyne and Wear filter Tyne and Wear
- (-) Remove NewcastleGateshead filter NewcastleGateshead
Get hands on with history at sites across Hadrian's Wall
Enjoy a deeper exploration into our Roman heritage through reconstructions and live excavations on a visit to Hadrian’s Wall.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne / Carlisle / Hexham