Enthusiasts can enjoy the sights and sounds of battlegrounds and warfare from the safety of a warm and welcoming visitor centre and military museum. There are lessons in everything from the difference between a cutlass and a broadsword, the evolution of the suit of armour to the use of cannons in moorland battles. You can even learn about the development of the supersonic jet fighter. Military re-enactments offer a spectacular opportunity for the amateur historian who longs for the past to be brought to life complete with the whiff of gunpowder in the air.
- Activities (1) Apply Activities filter
- (-) Remove Autumn Break Ideas filter Autumn Break Ideas
- City (1) Apply City filter
- Culture (2) Apply Culture filter
- (-) Remove Family filter Family
- (-) Remove Heritage filter Heritage
- (-) Remove Military history filter Military history
Visit the home of the WWII codebreakers at Bletchley Park
Once Britain’s best kept secret, this major visitor attraction was also the filming location for The Imitation Game starring Benedict Cumberbatch.
Location: Bletchley, Milton Keynes
Rainy Day Activities: Step into history in the Churchill War Rooms
Delve underground into Churchill’s War Cabinet Rooms and uncover the secret location which housed the Prime Minister during WWII.
Location: Westminster, London