Enthusiasts can enjoy the sights and sounds of battlegrounds and warfare from the safety of a warm and welcoming visitor centre and military museum. There are lessons in everything from the difference between a cutlass and a broadsword, the evolution of the suit of armour to the use of cannons in moorland battles. You can even learn about the development of the supersonic jet fighter. Military re-enactments offer a spectacular opportunity for the amateur historian who longs for the past to be brought to life complete with the whiff of gunpowder in the air.
- Activities (1) Apply Activities filter
- (-) Remove Countryside filter Countryside
- (-) Remove Heritage filter Heritage
- (-) Remove Historic sites and icons filter Historic sites and icons
- (-) Remove Military history filter Military history
- World heritage sites (1) Apply World heritage sites filter
Take a tour of Hadrian’s Wall and hidden Cumbria
Spend the day discovering the Romans’ most significant monument in Britain, Hadrian’s Wall, and some of Cumbria’s most scenic spots.
Location: Hadrian's Wall, Cumbria