Days out and trips in England
Find the best days out near you and plan your next day trip with our handy guide. Whether you're planning a family day out or a day trip in your local area, you'll find a range of zoos, theme parks, outdoor activities and much more to help shape your big day out in England.
- Central England (2) Apply Central England filter
- East of England (6) Apply East of England filter
- North East England (3) Apply North East England filter
- North West England (8) Apply North West England filter
- South East England (4) Apply South East England filter
- South West England (3) Apply South West England filter
- Activities (6) Apply Activities filter
- Autumn Break Ideas (7) Apply Autumn Break Ideas filter
- Budget (5) Apply Budget filter
- City (2) Apply City filter
- Coast (1) Apply Coast filter
- (-) Remove Countryside filter Countryside
- Areas of outstanding natural beauty (1) Apply Areas of outstanding natural beauty filter
- Forests and woodlands (3) Apply Forests and woodlands filter
- Gardens and Parks (9) Apply Gardens and Parks filter
- Lakes and waterways (1) Apply Lakes and waterways filter
- National Parks (1) Apply National Parks filter
- Wildlife and Nature Reserves (4) Apply Wildlife and Nature Reserves filter
- Culture (1) Apply Culture filter
- (-) Remove Days Out in England filter Days Out in England
- Family (11) Apply Family filter
- Attractions (5) Apply Attractions filter
- Outdoor Activities (9) Apply Outdoor Activities filter
- Playtime (4) Apply Playtime filter
- Theme Parks (1) Apply Theme Parks filter
- Toddler Friendly Holidays (9) Apply Toddler Friendly Holidays filter
- Zoos wildlife and safari parks (4) Apply Zoos wildlife and safari parks filter
- Food and Drink (1) Apply Food and Drink filter
- Heritage (6) Apply Heritage filter
16 of the best days out
Discover fun days out that are all an hour or less away from a major city.
Test your limits and climb The Cloud
Push yourself to the limit hiking the Gritstone Trail. With outstanding countryside and amazing views, the 35-mile trail is a challenge and a pleasure.
Location: Lyme Park, Cheshire
Walk Cheshire’s beautiful Sandstone Trail
Take a walk on the wild side discovering the ancient market town of Frodsham, Georgian Whitchurch and everything in between.
Location: Frodsham, Cheshire
Savour your scoops at The Ice Cream Farm
Keep the kids happy with more than 40 delicious flavours of ice cream, an outdoor play area, farm, quad bikes, mini golf and more...
Location: Tattenhall, Cheshire
Explore the tranquil gardens at Tatton Park
Spread across the grounds of a historic estate in Cheshire, Tatton Park have been carefully expanded and cultivated since Edwardian times.
Location: Knutsford, Cheshire
Explore Nene Park in the River Nene Valley
Imagine somewhere beautiful, safe and unspoilt where you can explore endless meadows, lakes and woodland, and the River Nene.
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Spy on endangered wildfowl at Rutland Water Nature Reserve
Visit Rutland Water's famous wildfowl sanctuary, covering a 1,000 acres of bird hides, mucky nature trails and interactive visitor centres.
Location: Rutland Water, Rutland
Go bananas for Trentham Monkey Forest
Pay a visit to the only place in Britain where you can walk among 140 Barbary macaques roaming free in 60 acres of forest.
Location: Trentham , Staffordshire
Family fun at Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens
The appeal of Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens goes way beyond its remarkable wildlife collection to breeding programmes and exuberant gardens.
Location: Burford, Oxfordshire
Reconnect with nature at Dunwich Heath
Tucked away on the coast, Dunwich Heath is one of the more remote and dramatically beautiful parts of Suffolk.
Location: Dunwich , Suffolk
Discover the Isle of Eels in Ely
Visit the cathedral city of Ely, and discover why the humble eel is so important in its history, as you walk its unique Eel Trail.
Location: Ely, Cambridgeshire
Get closer to the animals at Paradise Wildlife Park
Venture to Hertfordshire for an exciting day out with the family at this award-winning zoo; see a range of exotic animals and enjoy a whole host of experiences and attractions.
Location: Broxbourne, Hertfordshire
Hunt for the witches in the woods of Pendle
Embark on the interactive Pendle Sculpture Trail, and find the witches ceramic plaques in an atmospheric woodland setting.
Location: Pendle, Lancashire
Explore the UK's first safari park at Longleat
Feed giraffes by hand and walk on the wildside with lemurs at this popular safari park, found in the picturesque grounds of historic Longleat House.
Location: Longleat, Wiltshire
Pick your own at Parkside Farm
Blackberries, raspberries, strawberries... time to get picking and fill those baskets at Parkside Farm.
Location: Enfield, London
Let loose at WildRootz
Let the kids get up close and personal with nature, in all its muddy glory, at WildRootz, in Pensthorpe Wildlife and Gardens.
Location: Fakenham, Norfolk
Enjoy a family day out at Wentworth Castle & Gardens
Wentworth Castle and Stainborough Park houses some of the earliest gothic follies in the country.
Location: Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Go wild for the wildlife of the Cotswolds
Experience the wild beauty of Batsford Arboretum and the sight of rare birds of prey soaring over the surrounding Cotswolds hills.
Location: Moreton In Marsh, Gloucestershire
Visit a stunning Garden of Distinction in Cheshire today
Spend the day visiting the beautiful landscapes of Cheshire’s Gardens of Distinction. With so many to visit, you’ll be spoilt for choice!
Stay and play on Adam Henson’s Cotswold Farm Park
Make the most of family fun time camping at Cotswold Farm Park, and visit nearby Bourton-on-the-Water to explore attractions & picnic by the river.
Location: Near Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire
Immerse yourself in the magic of The Alnwick Garden
Let the little ones run free around the 12 acres of gardens at the multi award-winning Alnwick Gardens in Northumberland.
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland
All aboard for the North Yorkshire Moors Railway
Revel in the romance of steam with a trip on the world’s most popular heritage railway line, spotting film locations and amazing scenery on the way.
Location: Pickering to Whitby via North York Moors National Park