Abbeys, cathedrals and sacred places
Man’s symbols of faith, from monasteries and churches to mosques, synagogues and temples, are part of the English landscape and offer oases of quiet contemplation, and intrigue. Centuries of history are beneath your feet and before your eyes at stone circles, crumbling abbey ruins, medieval chapels, ancient monoliths, holy wells and chambered tombs. Trace the history of our society through our holy places. Most were at one time the focal point of their community, be it a bustling city or a tiny rural village.
- (-) Remove Budget filter Budget
- (-) Remove Coast filter Coast
- (-) Remove Coastal towns filter Coastal towns
- (-) Remove Heritage filter Heritage
- (-) Remove Abbeys cathedrals and sacred places filter Abbeys cathedrals and sacred places
- Archaeological sites (1) Apply Archaeological sites filter
Experience life as a monk at historic Whitby Abbey
Discover how over 2,000 years of history made Whitby Abbey one of England’s most important archaeological sites.
Location: Whitby, North Yorkshire