Take a walk around St Andrew’s Minister Church, the largest parish church in Devon and a place of worship for 1,200 years
Standing tall next to the Prysten House is St Andrew’s Minister Church. Although gutted by fire during the 2nd World War and refurbished in 1957, the church still retains some of its pre-War features.
The great bell tower (“Yogge’s Tower”) and many of its memorials survive intact, the bells having been cast in the 16th century to celebrate Sir Francis Drake’s circumnavigation of the Globe (including his landing in California on 17th June 1579).
The Tower and Central East Windows both commemorate Lady Astor. A few of the fragmented 17th century inscriptions upon the floor stones surviving in the south-east transept name merchants and others who would have been present in Plymouth at the time of the sailing of “The Mayflower” in 1620.
VisitEngland would like to invite you to take part in a short survey about our website.
It should take no more than a couple of minutes.